Pellet stove maintenance is relatively simple, but it may not be on your mind. With several strange heat “bursts” throughout the country in recent weeks, it’s hard to imagine heating season is right around the corner. The truth is, we’ll be enjoying crisp fall air in no time. It’s best to get your fall maintenance tasks done now!
Here’s a pellet stove maintenance checklist to make sure you’re ready when the time comes!
- Clean pellet stove vents inside and outside
- Pull out your pellet stove manual and read through maintenance information specific for your appliance
- If you can’t locate your manual, download one here.
- If you need to order parts or schedule service, do that right away.
- Check on fuel prices and decide what you want to burn this season. You can burn a variety of fuels and can switch mid-season. Corn is remaining low, so that will likely be a great option for many flex-fuel stove owners.
- If you plan to buy corn from a local farmer/supplier, give them a call and get on their list.
- Move furniture and other items that may have been placed in front of your appliance and/or heating vents.
- If you use your furnace fan-blower to circulate heat, make sure your ducts are clean. Professionally cleaning your ducts will improve air quality of your home.
- Change your furnace filter prior to using the blower.
- Make sure you have a supply of fuel starter on hand (if you don’t have an auto-ignition)
- Check seals around doors and windows. Replace screens with storm windows.
- Don’t forget to use our referral form to refer your friends and family to us.
- Switch your ceiling fans to push warm air down. Not sure which way that is, click here for a simple tutorial.
- Dig your ash vac out of summer storage and make sure it’s cleaned out and ready to go.
If you have questions about routine maintenance or repairs, contact our technical department now at 320-227-2902!